Mesothelioma Patient Charter
The UK Mesothelioma Alliance believes that:
Mesothelioma patients and their families have a right to:
- A speedy and accurate diagnosis supported by a Multi-Disciplinary Team
- Good quality information from a variety of sources available in different media and languages
- Support of a qualified nurse and other Multi-Disciplinary Team members with knowledge and experience of mesothelioma throughout their illness
- Be considered for the best possible treatments available with the support and input of a mesothelioma specific Multi-Disciplinary Team
- Have up-to-date advice on benefits, help in applying for them and receive prompt payment of benefits
- Have legal advice and guidance from a solicitor experienced in mesothelioma claims
- Guidance on end of life decisions and care at home
- Provision of a consistent nationwide service from coroners using a clear and open process with a maximum case length of three months
And call upon the Government to:
- Ensure that healthcare providers use NHS Quality Metrics to optimise their services for mesothelioma patients and follow relevant clinical guidelines
- Ensure funding is available for mesothelioma research with a view to improving diagnosis, treatment and outcomes for patients
- Ensure the Health and Safety Executive asbestos regulations reflect the latest evidence and are enforced throughout the nation
- Have mesothelioma and asbestos safety made a national priority
And call upon all employers to:
- Prevent future exposure to asbestos by providing a safe working environment with up to date inspection/monitoring and all necessary equipment to protect employees.
- Work with unions and individuals to ensure enforcement of current regulations to safeguard all employees.
- Identify all asbestos in their properties and organise its safe removal where practical or necessary when work is being carried out.